Sunday, October 22, 2006

Crowbar frenzy!

The first job on the list was supposed to be a small one: replacing
the pencil zinc in the engine heat exchanger. The old zinc had corroded
itself to the gallery and I had to clean out the threaded boss with a
small screwdriver before the new zinc would go in. Of course the threaded
boss is on the bottom of the heat exchanger at the back of the engine...a
very hard-to-reach spot. Next I topped off coolant level. The leak
seems to be coming from the drain petcock on the heat exchanger, which
is right next to the mounting boss for the zinc. The heat exchanger
probably needs some attention. After completing these small jobs I
started the engine and checked the alternator for output, and yes,
it's working fine. This means that the starting battery must truly be
on it last legs (there was some question about whether it was dead or
just not being charged). Time to replace the starting battery. What
is in there now: a Group 24M, 500 CCA. No amp-hour rating (says 95 RC
minutes. I think RC is measured at a 25 AH rate which would mean this
is about 40 AH at 25 A rate.) I took a short cruise to check the heat
exchanger for leaks and to get the boat out! When the engine started,
some zinc paste came out with the first burst of exhaust water. With
luck most of the remnants of the old, neglected zinc got flushed out.
Next I moved on to the head and rig projects by removing the old cabinet
facing in the head compartment. After more demolition I'll get good
access to the chainplate knees for reinforcement and replacement. Had
to knockoff early Saturday to make a dinner in Santa Barbara.

Early Sunday morning I was back at the boat with tools in hand. I wasted
no time in demolishing the head (port side) cabinetry. There were a
couple of shelves that were cleated to the bulkheads and lightly tabbed
to the hull. I detabbed the wood with a chisel, unscrewed the cleats,
and pried the shelves out. In the afternoon I did the same with the
hanging locker. Both compartments are now stripped and the chainplate
knees are accessible.

No comments: