Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Chainplates and tiller

Today I called H&L down in LA and got them to fax me the ordering guide for new tillers. I need to decide the shape and length and call them back. I'll do some rough templating this week or weekend.

I also ordered some chainplate material from Onlinemetals.com. I chose 316L stainless in a 1" width and and .25" thickness. 316L has a yield (NOT tensile) strength of about 200 MPa and I worked out that a 1" x 1/8" plate would yield at about 1800 kgf. This would be roughly halved at the pin hole for only 900 kgf. I decided this wasn't good enough since the 3/16" wire is good for 3600 lbf or about 1800 kgf.. I still need to compute the bearing stress and tear-out shear stress before fabricating the plates, and calculate the final yield and tensile strength. Also, while drilling the SS shouldn't be a big deal, I don't have the best tools for cutting and polishing. I did a quick design on eMachineShop.com but the price quotes were a little high and the delivery times were nuts: 20-40 working days.

I need to start managing this project better. Time to get more organized and try to proceed in parallel.

No comments: