Sunday, August 26, 2007

Great strides.

In contrast with my discouragement of a few weeks ago, this week seemed like great progress was made. Inspired by meeting one of the circumnavigators of Sohcahtoa, I plunged in to the current projects with a renewed vigor. Plus, this week I again had some help from Michele. This means (perhaps unfortunately) that you get pictures of me in action...

The first item was to set up Karl's boat, Passat, with the winch covers I made. Karl was missing this weekend, though...so I gave ém a shot of 303 and put them on the boat for him to find.













The area aroung the backstay chainplate was ready for paint, so I sanded the primer once more with 120 and then brushed out some Brightside. I also rolled some Bilgekote on the chainplate knee structure inside the lazarette, but didn't take any pictures!





Next up was continuing the reinforcement of the main bulkhead around the upper chainplate mount. I cut several pre-measured lengths of West 4"biax tape. This stuff is a joy to work with, because it's so easy to do neat work. After a thin coat of raw epoxy thickened with West microfiber filler, fo fill the weave of the unlerlying laminate, we layed on the additional glass. We taped across the bulkhead/hull seam, not along it, as I wanted to bond to the raw fiberglass and bare wood beyond the existing tabbing.












Later I took a little wrecker bar and quickly removed the old, nasty head platform. It was barely attached; most of the bond was in the many layers of old paint! The tabbing was weakly bonded and pulled loose easily. Everything was in good shape underneath.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: