Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Chainplate update

The chainplates are out at the machine shop for fabrication, and I'm gradually wrapping up the knee replacement. The backstay knee is still the big focus.The first day of glassing I applied 2" tape to all four fillets, followed by a layer of 24 oz. to the sides of the knee. After time to gel, I cut four strips of the excellent West 4" biax tape and glassed these in over the fillets. These strips were followed by four more offset 1" to the outside.


The following week I was back. After washing and sanding the previous glasswork,I cut glass for more offset strips of biax tape, as well as more 24 oz. roving for the knee sides. I glassed these in and also ran strips of 2" tape down the front edge of the knee. Yes, I missed a wrinkle or two along the edge! With luck these will sand out ok. Otherwise everything turned out well.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: